We value transparency and honesty. We are Human.
We believe that justice is mandatory and worthy of pursuit even when it seems unattainable.
We believe that truth is real even when it is temporarily or permanently incomprehensible and/or out of reach.
We believe that all humans in all their glorious diversity and confounding behaviors deserve respect, dignity, connection, and peace.
And here is some other stuff:
The tools and power of the internet and our connected devices are both wonderful and scary. We are meticulous about maintaining privacy and security in everything we do and are happy to advise if you have questions about how to manage your own digital universe.
- We use SSL encryption on all web properties.
- We have strict and aggressive policies for creating, storing, and sharing passwords.
- We use adblockers and VPN.
- We do not use public Wifi ever.
- We maintain an appreciative-but-suspicious relationship to third-party cloud services and err toward autonomy and security over convenience at times. We prefer self-hosted, fully encrypted email services over Gmail. We build self-hosted websites on WordPress (the best open source platform in the world.) We utilize tracking services only for observing user behavior for the sake of improving website structure and content -- we do not add any of the extra scary tracking mechanisms that sneakishly harvest gratuitous data from individuals.
- We do not store unencrypted client or user information.
- We do not use Facebook or Instagram. At all. (note: we do integrate these platforms into content strategy and marketing execution when required.)
We understand the importance of trust and confidentiality -- especially for those who are pushing back against big forces or pioneering new solutions that oppose the status quo.
Placing a high value on protecting your data, identity, and communications doesn't mean you have something to hide. It just means you recognize that technology has grown faster than governments, companies, and society could handle. The tech companies have gotten too big for their britches. We do not want to be their product. We do not want to open our lives to their surveillance and analysis. We resist.
If you prefer to communicate via encrypted channels and platforms then we are happy to oblige.
We will happily sign your NDA.
Life is too short to tolerate optional friction between humans.
We address miscommunication and missed expectations head-on -- with humility and respect. The huge majority of negative interactions and disappointing collaborations could be avoided by simply asking respectful questions. We want the seconds, minutes, and hours we spend "working" to be satisfying, positive experiences for our team and for our clients and collaborators.
We don't make promises we can't deliver or sell things you don't need. If we aren't a good fit or you'd prefer to do things yourself, then hopefully we can at least provide some value through discussion and connection! We're happy to point you the right direction.
Although we avoid defining our lives or work in opposition to other things, we claim the independent authority to question and reinvent any and all aspects of life and society. Reality is up for negotiation.
We are opposed to companies or individuals who hold hostage any ideas, information, access, or materials which should benefit the broader community.
We believe in the open web and are proud supporters of the WordPress platform and community.
Relatedly: we do not hold our clients' materials hostage. Anything we create together belongs to you. If we host your website, domain name, or email you can claim them at anytime. We will cheerfully work with you or your team to ensure a seamless migration.